Sunday, January 10, 2010

40.: 740 SW

My car sits on the street for weeks at a time; I'm surprised it hasn't been reported as abandoned. My wife and I use her car when going out together, but the other day I needed to run an errand alone ("What, you don't want to go to Home Depot with me to check out sump pumps?"). The car barely started, the battery having been ignored for so long.



So why do I keep this car? I don't really need it.

But it's family.

Purchased new in 1990 when my wife flew free to Gothenberg, toured the Volvo factory, then drove the car home to Naples. First time we had ever bought a car new. Compost, furniture, bikes, sand, Christmas trees; you name it, we've carried it either on top or inside. Three times after collisions, it has been declared dead by insurance companies. I've bought it back and had it repaired. It runs great, has something like 280,000 miles; no, I think I'll keep it around a while longer, just have to remember that it needs some attention every two to three weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment