Thursday, July 19, 2012

116. 4.6%? I Don't Think So

Here's a great map courtesy Kym: hover over a state to see how its commuting breaks down.  Oregon commuting cyclers are #1 at almost five percent (compare 40-50% in Denmark and the Netherlands), followed by California, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, then Washington coming in at 2%.

Portland Cyclers
But really?  For every 20 cars pouring into Portland, Bend, and Ontario, there's one bicycle?  Eugene, sure, but for the entire state?  Who comes up with these numbers?

During my admittedly early morning downtown cycling, I see maybe 10-20 other cyclists, then I get on the bus and see hundreds if not thousands of cars coming into the city from the south--according to the city's DOT, over 56,000 cars travel the northbound I-5 route over 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment