Wednesday, April 3, 2013

136. Door'd

Almost door'd last week.  The timing was perfect, the driver's door opening just as I passed, but I was a few inches away.

A local pediatrician was not so lucky.  In his words:

I and the guy sitting in his parked car made simultaneous errors: riding too close (me) and opening the door without checking for a bicycle (him).  Injury [fracture] to the back of my right hand: [orthopedist] took care of me and I was out of the OR by 2 am and ready for nursery rounds the next morning: turns out I can examine newborns with one hand tied behind my back!  Lots of help from the dads, they were definitely not allowed to snore thru it that morning.

Full recovery expected in six weeks; his helmet cracked in several places.

Damned if you do (ride too close to parked cars); damned if you don't, risking the moving traffic that doesn't always appreciate a cyclist's right to a traffic lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment