Sunday, November 8, 2009

30. Game Day


Today was probably the last game day this year--days when my commuting crosses paths with professional baseball/football/soccer games since the respective stadia are all on my bus route. Mostly I'm annoyed because it means standing room only, slow boarding (fans never know the fare so have to dig through their pockets and packs for that last quarter), and heavy traffic.

But a Sunday game day also attracts more interesting passengers than the usual boring commuters (like me). Today for example, across from me is a 40-something, with his hair pulled back in a ponytail, and with a 4-6 month old packed into a snugli. At his feet a bottle half filled with milk is tucked into a bag. Next to him is a teen with a black soccer ball. To my right a college age Seahawk fan playing monopoly on his iphone, and to his right a middle-aged bachelor type going to a vintage toy fair in Lake City, which means he's spending 3-4 hours on the bus today. And to think, some people would rather drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment