Friday, November 13, 2009

31. Passing Time on the Bus

Took a different bus route today, express to the University District. I could see 9 people from my seat. Eight were clearly students. Of that eight, 3 were studying, one reading a small book making passages or making margin notes in what looked like a Gideon bible; 5 had earbuds, including each of the three studying; one was sleeping; and one was just staring ahead with no book or ipod or sleep (though for a while she was looking at her cell phone (presumable text messages). On the bus I read; on the bike I listen to podcasts or books. I should do music once in a while.

2 comments:

  1. Uncle David, I'm horrible at leaving comments, but I love both of your blogs! This post made me think about last fall semester, when I rode the bus regularly to and from my evening classes in Boise. I always had the best intentions of studying, but the often jolty rides left me putting my books aside to people (or car) watch instead. Of course, being unoccupied left me open to overly friendly fellow bus-riders who wanted to chat. Sometimes it was a fun way to spend the ride, other times I wished I had an Ipod to signal my temporary 'anti-social'ness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bumpiness is a big factor, especially city streets Most of my ride is freeway, which is better.

    ReplyDelete