Wednesday, December 9, 2009

33. Frostbite

The official low was 22, but when I got up yesterday my rooftop weather station said 16, record-setting lows for this part of the country (I know, we're whimps; we also complain for any temp above 90 like we're going to melt or something). So I just layered up and kept warm on my bike commute, with one exception: my fingers felt like they were going to break off. My winter cycling gloves just aren't up to this. I tried flexing my hand while riding hoping that the ensuing circulation and heat generated by the muscle activity would keep my fingers warm. Nope.

I'll see what REI can offer, but I may just go to Costco and buy some ski gloves. Problem with that, though is that I have lots of hills coming and going so I need to shift gears a lot, which may be difficult with ski gloves. Vamos ver.

1 comment:

  1. I bought a pair of Lobsters a few years ago. They're on the expensive side as far as gloves go, but they're worth every penny. They keep my fingers plenty warm while cycling in sub-zero temps. The temperature was about 5 degrees here in MPLS this evening & I didn't have any problems on my 7.5 mile ride home. They're the only piece of cycle-specific clothing I own, and one of the best cycling purchases I've ever made. I know at least 2 other hearty year-round cyclists here in MPLS who also swear by Lobsters. I highly recommend them.

    ReplyDelete