Sunday, June 24, 2012

112. Hi Tech Commuting


I don't always cycle; running takes longer (turning a 3 hr daily commute to almost 4) but a good change.  Problem with running is the back pack, with its keys and clothes and wallet and reading material for the bus.  It's not the weight of the pack, its the up and down jostling or to avoid the latter, the tight straps.

Enter the nano and the weekly free city newspapers.  When the latter arrive in the newsstands on Thursdays, they keep me occupied on the ride in;  phone apps on the ride home and the nano while cyclin. The weight of the phone is not negligible but so much less than the cassette and DVD players from the last century.

Running without a back pack.

Freedom.

3 comments:

  1. I always cycle, and one problem that I had in the past was finding a case that I could look to my bike path map and ride at the same time, so I have finally found a case that holds the handlebars of the bicycle and works as a stand too, it's really interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My best running buddy just moved so I've been running by myself during the day on Chuck's days off and finding it much harder to distract myself... so I'm seriously pondering joining whatever century we're in and getting an iPod of some sort. I consulted with Sam and he says the nano is probably easiest for running; I'm glad to see you concur.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat, I can only refer you to Post #69, wherein I describe a colleague who while looking down at some electronic tracking device on his handlebar plowed into a stopped truck @ 20 mph.

    A year later, he has personally funded his dentist's new summer home and has cut back to half time work. But he's back on his bike and competing in iron man triathlons.

    Jana, the nano is amazing. We download books from the library (I'm currently listening to the second hunger games book), there's a great radio, and of course room for a ton of music.

    ReplyDelete