Friday, May 10, 2013

139. Folding Bikes, Part II

Three months ago, I became serious about folding bikes with some google searches and a couple of test rides, then put the decision aside.

Now with better weather increasing the odds of being bumped--a bus arriving with the bus rack already full--so I started looking again.

First the Brompton, gold standard for folding bikes.  Folds the smallest, weighs the least, best rep for reliability.  But also $1200, or so my earlier research told me.

My test ride was disappointing: the smaller (than other foldables) wheels decrease stability, especially when standing during climbs.  And the model I'd need would come to $2000. Scratch the Brompton.

Next, a couple of $600 models; not as compact, but that's because of large wheels which means greater stability. I think I'll go with REI's version, given the discount as an REI member, the easy return if necessary, and the convenient maintenance (on my way home from work).

3 comments:

  1. Have you checked out the xootr?

    ReplyDelete
  2. xootr? too many hills between home and office

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh xootr is the brand of folding bike, they a lot of scooters but I've heard good things about their bike recently. It looks like you found a good one though.
    http://www.xootr.com/folding-bicycle.html
    http://www.amazon.com/Xootr-Swift-Folding-Bicycle-Blue/product-reviews/B001LUPOEA/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

    ReplyDelete