Tuesday, September 15, 2009

15. Greatest Invention of the 20th Century


Quick, which invention of the past 50 years has made the most impact on your life?

Personal computer, anti-lock brakes, cell phone, wide-body tennis racket, digital camera, waterbed?

Easy answer for me: bus bicycle rack. Originated in 1970's in Seattle, now in 400 transit systems.

But what happens when a bus rolls up and the rack is full? I peddle downstream to a relatively safe bus stop and leave my bike locked up for the day or night. It helps that I don't have an expensive bike and that it only happens a couple times a year (less often now with newer racks that carry 3 bikes). Though it is with mixed reaction that I meet new commuter cyclists: fellow travelers? or competitors for an increasingly scarce resource?

2 comments: