Saturday, September 19, 2009

16. What would Kant Do?

A long day. Up at 5am to catch the 5:30 but it was inexplicably on "divert," so I had to wait for the 6:00. Finally left the hospital at 8:40pm, arriving at bus stop (a major terminal) around 8:50, bus due at 9. There's another cyclist who's looking a schedules, so he might be waiting for my bus, or another, who knows. If the bus arrives with an empty bike rack, there will be room for both of us. If there is one bike already on, then only one of us will make it. Assuming the latter scenario, I have three choices:
1. Bus arrives; I gesture to him to load his bike since he has been waiting longer than me. I'll wait for the 9:30.
2. I stand close to where the bus will stop thereby establishing myself at the "front of the line."
3. I ride upstream to catch the bus at an earlier stop, avoiding a potential confrontation but the moral question remains.

What do you think I did?

3 comments: